Breastcancer.org seeks a full-time writer to create engaging and empowering women’s health content for its web properties, Breastcancer.org and Breasthealth.org. The writer will also develop content for related educational print and marketing materials. This position offers exciting opportunities for learning and growth.
Breastcancer.org and Breasthealth.org content is driven by its audiences: Women who want information and guidance on breast cancer risk reduction, breast cancer treatment, issues after treatment, and living enriching and healthy lives. We’re looking for someone who can create relevant content that reaches these women at all critical life points.
- has experience creating health, wellness, and lifestyle content
- is adept at translating research and medical information into consumer content with a friendly and conversational tone
- has a demonstrated ability to create content for the 6th- to 8th-grade reading level
- has experience creating content in a variety of formats: short-form features, blogs, slideshows, and video scripts
- has an understanding of formats that work well for specific topics and audiences
- can create original content, ghostwrite, adapt existing content, and create complementary short-form content inspired by existing long-form content
- has experience with content strategy and content marketing
The writer reports to the editorial director and the director of marketing. The writer will work closely with the content and marketing team to do the following:
- write and ghostwrite multimedia content on topics including breast cancer risk reduction, breast cancer treatment, the doctor-patient relationship, long-term health and psychosocial issues after treatment, and healthy lifestyles
- stay informed about relevant topics and news in breast cancer and breast cancer risk reduction
- pitch story ideas to editorial director and director of marketing
- develop relationships with health and wellness experts and influencers in the field
- performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, health communications, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience writing web feature content for consumer health audiences.
- Demonstrated experience writing features content on medical health and lifestyle for the web.
- Awareness and experience of content strategy and content marketing, including how to optimize for social media platforms; strategize topics as well as multiple angles and multimedia formats most suitable for different topics; and awareness of SEO and content performance.
- Natural curiosity and awareness of the latest news and social media buzz about breast cancer medicine and risk reduction, relevant lifestyle modifications, and the doctor-patient relationship.
- Experience identifying and writing from reliable medical and science research about the following topic areas:
- cancer and cancer treatment
- cancer risk reduction including lifestyle and environmental modifications
- women’s health, including nutrition, exercise, and sexuality
- menopause, including treatment-induced menopause
- maintaining a healthy weight
- disease-related psychosocial issues
- Ability to draw conclusions from existing compiled medical and science research.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize workload, adapt to unanticipated needs, and meet deadlines.
- Experience collaborating with a diverse team of individuals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, WordPress, and BaseCamp a plus; experience researching peer-reviewed medical journals and using resources such as National Library of Medicine.
Breastcancer.org is located in a beautiful, collaborative space in Ardmore, PA, offering on-site parking and short walking distance to commuter trains. Vacation, paid holiday time, and benefits are generous. We also offer work-from-home flexibility.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing samples, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.