- Question from Endel: I was first diagnosed 16 years ago. My disease is Stage IV now. During the last 3 years, I used almost every chemo drug available. I stopped responding to hormonal therapy. I just started Navelbine as the last drug available. Please give me hope that new drugs are coming. I cannot live without this hope.
- Answers - Larry Norton, M.D. There is never a last drug available. We have dozens of effective drugs for breast cancer. Sometimes going back to drugs that have been used in the past can give someone a new response that can be long-lasting. There are many useful clinical trials that are exploring new and exciting drugs and other approaches.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. To find out about clinical trials that you may be eligible for, go to cancer.gov, the clinical trials section at breastcancer.org, or by calling 1-800-4-CANCER to identify study groups in your particular area.
- Larry Norton, M.D. It's extremely important not to give up, to keep gathering more information about clinical trials and to remain optimistic.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. Getting treated for metastatic breast cancer can feel like more than a full-time job. You have to keep pushing and always keep reading about new treatments on the horizon. A great place to go for support and encouragement is the community at breastcancer.org where there are specific discussion boards for women who share your concerns. You might learn about clinical trials and other new ideas from them. We monitor all the discussion boards.
The Ask-the-Expert Online Conference called Living With Metastatic Breast Cancer featured Larry Norton, M.D. and moderator Marisa Weiss, M.D. answering your questions about managing day-to-day life with metastatic breast cancer.
Editor's Note: This conference took place in October 2007.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.