- Question from Sally: Do you find more women are having full breast reconstruction surgeries because of the sexuality issues with their men?
- Answers - Leslie R. Schover, Ph.D. I think that research on women's motivation to have breast reconstruction shows that the biggest issue is feeling whole again and being able to wear a wide variety of clothing. The sexual issues are usually further down the list in women's reasons for getting reconstruction.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. Another challenge in the bedroom may be managing hair loss during sex. I have patients who use a wig with a good grip to bed with them and I know other women who feel perfectly comfortable going to bed bald. Hair loss for many women can be even more traumatic than the loss of a breast. If this is a problem in your life, try various solutions that will hang on for the ride during the encounter.
- Leslie R. Schover, Ph.D. It is not only the loss of hair on your head but also your pubic hair that may make you feel shy about being close to your partner.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. Pubic hair can function like a cushion and some women without pubic hair during chemotherapy, for example, find that sex may be more uncomfortable because of that. Pubic hair wigs are available. You can ask a shop that specializes in solving hair loss problems for women as well as men.
On Wednesday, February 20, 2002, our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference was called Intimacy, Sex and Your Love Life. Leslie R. Schover, Ph.D., Debra Thaler-DeMers, R.N., O.C.N., P.H.N., and Marisa Weiss, M.D. answered your questions about how to improve your sex life during and after breast cancer treatment.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.