- Question from Robin: Do the over-the-counter progesterone creams work to relieve some of the menopause symptoms?
- Answers - Charles Loprinzi I suspect that the answer to this question is truly yes. They have not been well studied, and the absorption of such is not evident to me. There is a naturopathic compound called wild yam cream, which appears to be a progestational agent.
- Debra Barton However, there has been some research with wild yam creams showing they have not been helpful for hot flash control.
- Charles Loprinzi As we're coming to a close with this chat, it is worth noting that there are a large number of trials ongoing with regards to testing new agents for the treatment of hot flashes. It is very likely that newer treatments will become available over the next couple of years.
- Debra Barton This points back to a more basic fact: that we really don't know the exact mechanism that causes hot flashes in some women but not others. I am encouraged that there is a concerted effort by many scientists all over the U.S. to figure this thing out because by knowing the physiology, we will surely better understand how to treat it or prevent it.
- Jennifer Griggs, M.D., M.P.H. Safe management of menopausal symptoms in women who've had breast cancer is a more and more important area of concern to patients and their health care providers, and because of this interest, we are bound to make progress more rapidly than ever before.
On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference was called Managing Menopausal Symptoms. Charles Loprinzi, M.D., Debra Barton, Ph.D., and Jennifer Griggs, M.D., M.P.H. answered your questions about hot flashes, vaginal dryness, loss of libido, and other symptoms associated with menopause.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.