As you're creating your plan for healthy eating after treatment, don't forget to include happiness in the recipe. Don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods, such as chocolate, pie, or chips. But don't eat mindlessly. Think about what you're putting in your body.
Before you put anything in your mouth, think about what you're eating:
- What is it and why are you eating it?
- Look at the food on your plate as a source of healthy nutrition — it's not just fuel, it's helping you recover.
- Look at the bite on your fork and imagine how it will help you be healthier.
- Chew each bite at least 30 times. Experience how the flavors change as you chew.
- Swallow and put down your utensil. Rest in between bites.
- After you eat for 15 or 20 minutes, ask yourself if you're still hungry or could wait several hours before eating again.
- Eat when you're hungry and stop when you've had enough. Don't keep eating until you feel stuffed.
Personal QuoteI try to prepare and eat all meals in a loving, caring manner. The fast food era of my family's life is a thing of the past. I think of the time I spend fixing meals every day as a necessary ingredient in my total healing recipe.
Diana Dyer, M.S., R.D.