- Question from KT: When you are beyond chemo and onto radiation, what would you recommend as a good, nutritious lunch that you could get at a sandwich shop?
- Answers - Ronda Gates, M.S., R.Ph. I would go for a veggie sandwich on whole grain bread.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. What about turkey?
- Ronda Gates, M.S., R.Ph. That's another option, the tryptophan may relax you.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. Ask for the lettuce and tomatoes.
- Ronda Gates, M.S., R.Ph. Go for non-pressed meats, so your turkey should be lean and not smoked. Make food wet, I always say, when you are going to the deli--sprouts, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, onions....
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. Ask for mustard and not mayonnaise. Some nice chicken breast and tuna salads can be had.
- Ronda Gates, M.S., R.Ph. Some of the roll-up sandwiches are real appealing.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. You are making me hungry! One reason for having this conference on this topic is that many women who've had breast cancer blame themselves for getting the cancer. Seventy percent of women who have breast cancer believe that they got it as a result of bad eating habits, or a stressful event in their life, like the loss of a child, or a divorce. Ronda and I hope that all of this information will help you become as healthy as you can, moving forward.
- Ronda Gates, M.S., R.Ph. Your worst enemy is probably yourself. When your "itty-bitty-pity-committee" starts to hold a meeting in your head, tell them to get off your back.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. Don't blame yourself for what has happened. It's not your fault! Your cancer is not your fault.
- Ronda Gates, M.S., R.Ph. Use the experience as a stepping stone to a new way of life. A year ago today my sister was getting chemo, and she sat there and said "Next year I am going to be doing something different," and she went on a cruise.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. Great! Maybe we can all go on a cruise together!
- Ronda Gates, M.S., R.Ph. No beans allowed!
On Wednesday, July 19, 2000, our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference was called Food for Cancer Recovery. Ronda Gates, M.S., R.Ph. and moderator Marisa Weiss, M.D. answered your questions about nutrition and how it relates to cancer recovery.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.