- Question from Ms.Fitness6: Is weight gain something you just have to deal with while on tamoxifen? I have gained almost 8 pounds since being on it. I started treatment with it in October. The gain is mostly in my stomach. I feel bloated. What can I do to combat this?
- Answers - Cyndi Thomson, Ph.D., R.D. The realization that tamoxifen can contribute is important but realize that are other factors contributing to weight gain similar to what we said about the steroids. It's important to continue your tamoxifen and look for other ways to control your body weight.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. Also, in addition to increased body weight, you might be noticing a difference in the way your weight is distributed. As you grow older and the hormones in our body shift around, we do tend to gain more weight in our middles, in the belly area.
- Cyndi Thomson, Ph.D., R.D. This what we call central body fat.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. As you grow older, even without the tamoxifen, you would notice that change in fat distribution. But many women say that tamoxifen may bring it on in a faster or in a more noticeable way. Plenty of my patients do manage to get some control over their weight and lose some weight and then try to keep their weight as stable as possible. This of course takes a lot of effort and continued encouragement.
- Cyndi Thomson, Ph.D., R.D. In terms of central body weight gain, some women are more responsive to a lower carbohydrate/more simple sugar intake than to a low-fat diet. But there are wide individual variations and you should work with a health care provider to design the best weight loss diet for you.
On Wednesday, January 19, 2005, our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference was called Nutrition and Weight. Cyndi Thomson, Ph.D., R.D. and Marisa Weiss M.D. answered your questions about nutrition and weight.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.