- Question from Chel: I love to sample the cheese tray at parties. How much is too much?
- Answers - Jennifer Sabol, M.D., F.A.C.S. So do I!
- Diana Dyer, M.S., R.D. Because cheese is my true love (showing my Wisconsin loyalties here!), that would be the special treat for me. But again, it needs to be done mindfully with a sense of portion control and not just standing next to the cheese tray. So if they're tiny little cubes and if there were 5-6 kinds of cheese, I'd take one of each and no more. Savor each one—don't eat it while drinking or talking to friends, but savor and enjoy it.
- Jennifer Sabol, M.D., F.A.C.S. One of the mental tricks you can play is to remind yourself that this is not the last time you'll ever see cheese! If you really enjoyed a particular cheese there, it is possible to go out and find that cheese another day and eat it another day, rather than overindulging on this special occasion. So that helps me from going into panic mode that I will never have this type of cheese again.
- Diana Dyer, M.S., R.D. In terms of type of cheese, I look for cheese that is lower in fat, but high in flavor. My favorite in that area is feta, which has about half the fat of a typical cheddar, but WHOOO! it is power-packed with flavor. And why eat cheese if there's no flavor in it? I also look for cheese made from organic milk, i.e. milk with no added hormones. In that case, most of your imported or European cheeses (goat or sheep or cow's milk cheese) will be made with no additional hormones.
The Ask-the-Expert Online Conference called Eating and Drinking Through the Holidays featured Diana Dyer, M.S., R.D. and moderator Jennifer Sabol, M.D. answering your questions about how to stay healthy during the most hectic, high-calorie time of year.
Editor's Note: This conference took place in November 2006.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.