- Question from Marshall: Chemo has been giving me diarrhea. Are there any foods I should avoid at parties to prevent an episode of diarrhea?
- Answers - Diana Dyer, M.S., R.D. Well, know what foods already induce diarrhea and avoid those. High-fat foods are going to make it worse. High-fiber foods are going to aggravate diarrhea. It's possible that very spicy foods may also. So, my recommendation would be to bring something to the party that you know you can eat.
- Larissa Korde And if you're experiencing diarrhea, make sure you stay hydrated. Alcohol can cause you to be dehydrated so be careful about that.
- Diana Dyer, M.S., R.D. I would recommend if this is an ongoing problem to ask to speak to the registered dietician at your cancer center, who can more than likely figure out a way to help you.
- Larissa Korde And if it's an ongoing issue you should talk to your physician to see if there needs to be something done to adjust your treatment.
The Ask-the-Expert Online Conference called Nutrition Through the Holidays featured Diana Dyer, M.S., R.D. and Larissa Korde, M.D., M.P.H. answering your questions about what and how much to eat when holiday treats abound.
Editor's Note: This conference took place in October 2009.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.