- Question from Mystic: Has chiropractic treatment been used to help prevent breast cancer?
- Answers - Patricia Johnson I don't know if chiropractic manipulation has been used as a preventive strategy for breast cancer. I do think that chiropractors are often good at teaching women how to do self-massage, including lymphatic massage, which I find very helpful for breast health.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. You may experience aches and pains from breast cancer itself, or from the treatment of breast cancer. Many chiropractors first try to help figure out the cause of the pain before initiating any manipulation. They need to know that it is safe to apply firm pressure to a particular part of the body. If you have breast cancer that has spread to the bone, that bone may be weakened. In such a situation, chiropractic manipulation would not be advisable. It is always important to have good communication among all of the healers and practitioners you consult with, so that these kinds of problems can be managed in the most effective and safe way.
- Dan Benor I agree. What we're talking about is called 'integrated' or 'integrative' care, where complementary and conventional therapists work together. This is the best of both worlds.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. You may need to ask your doctors and healers to pick up the phone and call each other if you think this kind of communication is not in place.
On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference was called Complementary and Holistic Treatments. Daniel Benor, M.D., Patricia Johnson, M.D., and Marisa Weiss, M.D. answered your questions about what complementary and holistic treatments are, how to find reliable practitioners, and which might be the best treatments for you.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.