- Question from Rachel: I know that cigarette smoking is harmful in many ways, but would it interfere with holistic approaches to treatment?
- Answers - Patricia Johnson I don't know of many holistic treatments that would be affected by cigarette smoking. Some treatments may not be as effective in smokers as in non-smokers. I do feel that smoking and feeling guilty about it probably make the effects of smoking more harmful to the body. Therefore, coming to terms with whether or not you're a smoker, and loving yourself regardless of the smoking issue, is extremely important. Nutritional supplements are frequently not as helpful in smokers, or smokers may need larger dosages of certain supplements, in order to have the same effect.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. If you are a smoker and you feel you might be ready to stop, the most effective way to do it is with a combination of mindful measures and possibly medication. The power of the mind shouldn't be underestimated. It's very difficult to stop smoking without tapping into the power of your will.
- Dan Benor Many of the treatments I recommend can help people stop smoking. The self-healing acupressure techniques are specifically helpful with cravings, not just for cigarettes, but for alcohol and drugs as well.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. How about cravings for chocolate chip ice cream?
- Dan Benor That, too!
On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference was called Complementary and Holistic Treatments. Daniel Benor, M.D., Patricia Johnson, M.D., and Marisa Weiss, M.D. answered your questions about what complementary and holistic treatments are, how to find reliable practitioners, and which might be the best treatments for you.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.