- Question from Novella: Is it okay to get a massage during chemotherapy?
- Answers - Patricia Johnson I don't see any problem with getting massage during chemotherapy. I feel massage promotes relaxation, and therefore could be extremely helpful in dealing with side effects.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. There are various ways of giving massage. A gentle form of massage in the area of your surgery is preferred. During chemotherapy, if you have any cuts, insect bites, incisions, or acne, it's important not to over-manipulate those areas because of concern about infection.
- Patricia Johnson I have taken care of many breast cancer patients over 25 years of practice, and I can say that I feel the cure rate has definitely increased. I feel very optimistic that we're making progress with this disease.
- Dan Benor There is a growing body of convincing research which suggests that holistic treatments, including faith and touch healing, can be effective for many problems and symptoms, so we can recommend these therapies with increasing confidence.
- Marisa C. Weiss, M.D. For many breast cancer patients, the focus is often on how long you live, but it's also so important to focus on the moments along the way, and on how you're feeling right now, every day. I hope that the ideas and the guidance we've provided will help you recapture some of the pleasure and meaning of your life.
On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference was called Complementary and Holistic Treatments. Daniel Benor, M.D., Patricia Johnson, M.D., and Marisa Weiss, M.D. answered your questions about what complementary and holistic treatments are, how to find reliable practitioners, and which might be the best treatments for you.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.