Differences between reconstruction flaps?

Save as Favorite
Sign in to receive recommendations (Learn more)
Question from Ramona: Can you distinguish each flap? TRAM, DIEP, GAP, free, and pedicle?
Answers - Carolyn Chang All flaps are known as autologous tissue flaps, meaning they come from your own body. Within that heading, one should really think about flaps in terms of what structure they're taken from. A gluteal or GAP flap is taken from the buttocks, a TRAM flap is taken from the abdomen, and a latissimus is taken from the back. Within each of these categories, the flap can either be done with micro-surgical techniques, thereby calling them free flaps, or they can be done as a pedicle flap, meaning the flap is never detached completely from the body. The exception to this is the gluteal flap, which because of its location must be done as a free flap.

The Ask-the-Expert Online Conference called Reconstruction and Safe, Sexy Cosmetics featured Carolyn C. Chang, M.D., Anna-Dee Rinehart, S.C.S., and moderator Lillie Shockney, R.N., B.S., M.A.S. answering your questions about reconstructive surgery and safe, sexy cosmetics.

Editor's Note: This conference took place in April 2005.

The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.

A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

Was this article helpful? Yes / No

Springappeal17 miniad 1
Back to Top