Under the supervision of the associate director of programs and partnerships, plan and implement the expansion of Breastcancer.org’s grants program. The grant and proposal writer will collaborate with Breastcancer.org’s staff and senior leadership to research funding opportunities, prepare and submit grant applications and proposals, and steward donors to support the organization’s ongoing needs and priorities.
- Write and submit clear and concise grant proposals, letters of inquiry, and stewardship materials primarily focused on foundations and corporations. Support the executive team in writing major donor proposals.
- Manage grants submissions calendar, regularly update all stakeholders, and adhere to all internal and external deadlines.
- Research grant funding opportunities to find organizations whose priorities align with Breastcancer.org’s. Develop and foster relationships with primary point of contact.
- Work with various departments to compile pertinent program information for projects requiring funding. Assist program staff in preparing proposal components.
- Organize and maintain hard copy and electronic files, keeping Raiser’s Edge up to date.
- Assist with creation of grant budgets and budget reports.
- Assist with the preparation of internal and external agency communications, including the annual report, quarterly Partners Newsletter, website, and external presentations.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
- 60% Coordinating grant-related activities, including research, writing, and submission
- 20% Managing existing grants and relationships
- 10% Assist with preparation of agency communications
- 5% Assist with signature and community events
- 5% Other duties as assigned
- Three years of writing experience in development, communications, or journalism
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with diverse staff at all levels, interact with donors, and represent the organization tactfully and diplomatically
- Impeccable attention to detail and organizational skills
- Willingness to independently initiate projects and activities
- Able to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Able to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends, and travel occasionally
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices
- Program development skills
- Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to perform duties outside of job description on occasion
Hourly Rate & Schedule:
- $25-$30/hour. Commensurate with experience. This is a part time non-exempt position and does not offer benefits.
- Position is expected to work approximately 20 hours weekly.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and two 2-3 page writing samples with the subject “grant writer” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Samples of grant applications are preferable, but we will accept persuasive writing, editorials, or other development/communications samples as well.