Looking for a wig that requires little upkeep? Synthetic wigs may be the answer for you.
Synthetic wigs are the easiest wigs to maintain because they come pre-styled. Many synthetic wigs can be worn right out of the box with minimal styling because of this feature.
Also, each time you wash your synthetic wig, its style will bounce back to life once it dries since the styling is baked into the fibers. So you won’t have to worry about your hair styling abilities with synthetic wigs like you would with human hair wigs.
While you don’t necessarily have to style your synthetic wig, there are some simple steps you can take to make this type of wig look its best.
The following items will help you style your synthetic wig:
- a wide tooth comb
- wig shampoo for synthetic fiber
- leave-in conditioner for synthetic fiber
- a towel
- a plastic wig stand for drying (or an appropriately shaped household item)
- a Styrofoam or canvas wig head for styling
- water in a spray bottle
- shaping cream (optional)
- a blow dryer (optional)
Step one: Wash and dry your wig
After detangling the hair fibers with a wide tooth comb, wash your synthetic wig and spritz it with an even layer of leave-in conditioner. To dry your wig, blot it dry with a towel and then leave it to air dry. Avoid wringing out your wig because this can cause the hair fibers to tangle.
You can buy a plastic wig stand for drying, or you can use a tall, thin item from around the house, such as a roll of paper towels or a two-liter bottle. If your wig has a monofilament part or top feature, part the hair with a wide tooth comb while it is still wet. This will help make any scrunched or cowlicked areas disappear. Do not fully comb your wig at this time as the fibers will stretch and tangle together once they dry.
Allowing your wig to dry overnight is best to make sure the cap and fibers are dry.
Step two: Style your wig
After your wig has dried, place or pin your wig on a Styrofoam or canvas wig head. Styling your wig on a wig head ensures that you will not miss any sections of the hair because the wig stand mimics the size and shape of your head. Wig heads also allow you to have a 360-degree view of what your styling looks like. Many Styrofoam wig heads cost as little as a few dollars.
Ways to style a short synthetic wig:
- For an edgy look, rub the knots gently with your fingers to redirect them backwards to get some height and volume. Redirecting the knots is easier if you spray a little water on your wig beforehand. If you would like your edgy look to last all day, try using a shaping cream to hold your style in place.
- For a more relaxed style, comb the bangs to the front of the forehead to smooth out the hair.
Ways to style a longer synthetic wig:
- If you have a monofilament top wig and have not already parted your wig, part your style in your desired location by spraying some water on the hair and using a wide tooth comb to create the part.
- Next, use a blow dryer with an air concentrator attachment on low heat to dry the roots towards the back of the wig until they are in the desired position. Be careful: any heat higher than low may burn the synthetic fiber.
- To detangle, brush out the lengths of the hair with a wide tooth comb.
Consider carrying a wide tooth comb with you so you can easily detangle your style on-the-go, especially if you are wearing long styles with high collar tops.
It’s important to know that you should not use heated styling tools (like a straightener or curling iron) on regular synthetic wigs because they can’t withstand heat above a low temperature. Even “heat-friendly” synthetic wigs cannot cope with very high temperatures, so be careful around the oven, outdoor heaters, or other sources of extreme heat.
Watch the video below for step-by-step instructions on how to style a synthetic wig:
Carliz Sotelo Teague founded Wigs.com in 1999 and has been a wig wearer and passionate advocate of wigs since. Her passion and mission is to provide a convenient, supportive, and educational platform for those who are affected by hair loss and turn to alternative hair.