- Question from ClareK: Is saline or silicone the most popular choice for implants for breast reconstruction?
- Answers - Maurice Nahabedian Saline implants are still the most commonly selected implants. I think that this choice by women to continue with saline is based primarily on fear of silicone and the result of all the negative publicity related to silicone. Silicone implants can provide an excellent quality reconstruction, but I think it will probably take more time for the public to become more accepting of silicone gel implants.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. What about oil implants?
- Maurice Nahabedian I don't use any of the oil implants, but I do frequently use the combination of saline and silicone gel implants. I've found this implant to be very useful because it provides women with the feel and consistency of the silicone gel and provides the surgeon the ability to adjust the volume of the implant because of the saline chamber.
- Marisa Weiss, M.D. So the saline chamber has a port on it?
- Maurice Nahabedian Yes, the saline chamber is connected to a remote port that I will place on the side or bottom of the reconstructed breast. The implant itself has equal amounts of silicone gel in the outer chamber and saline on the inner chamber.
The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.
A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
Can we help guide you?
Create a profile for better recommendations
Breast self-exam, or regularly examining your breasts on your own, can be an important way to...
Tamoxifen (Brand Names: Nolvadex, Soltamox)
Tamoxifen is the oldest and most-prescribed selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)....
What Is Breast Implant Illness?
Breast implant illness (BII) is a term that some women and doctors use to refer to a wide range...