Gala Honors Three Outstanding Breastcancer.org Supporters
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 6, 2005
Breastcancer.org, the premier source for breast cancer medical information on the Internet, celebrates five years of exceptional service to millions of people affected by breast cancer at their 5th Anniversary Gala on Saturday, June 18, 2005. More than 300 guests will attend an enchanted evening of dinner and dancing under the stars at the Brushwood Stable in Chester County.
Three exceptional individuals will be honored for their inspiring and unique contributions to breast cancer patients, survivors, and their families. Honorees include Peggy and Bruce Earle, longtime friends of Breastcancer.org and champions for families affected by breast cancer; Kelly Corrigan, cancer survivor and an inspiration to young women with breast cancer; and Dr. Marisa Weiss, founder and president of Breastcancer.org, who will speak about her pioneering work improving patients' access to reliable medical information.
"Over the past five years, we've been touched by stories from women who've been helped through our site and honored by the outpouring of support we've received for our work," said Dr. Weiss. "As we celebrate our anniversary - and the inspirational people who've become a part of the Breastcancer.org community - we renew our commitment to empowering and informing women and their loved ones who are affected by breast cancer."
Proceeds from the gala will support Breastcancer.org's mission of helping women and their loved ones interpret, understand and act upon the most reliable, up-to-date, and relevant medical information about breast cancer.
Dr. Weiss founded Breastcancer.org out of her living room, with the help of a single assistant in 1999. Today, Breastcancer.org has grown to a staff of 12 dedicated professionals who have helped more than 4 million people affected by breast cancer make the best decisions for their lives. The event will highlight key accomplishments of the award-winning nonprofit including:
- Creation of more than 2,000 pages of original, peer-reviewed medical content and illustrations on every aspect of breast cancer, including symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments.
- Compilation of a Celebrity Talking Dictionary where over 60 celebrities lend their voices to pronounce and explain, in plain English, the complex terms associated with breast cancer.
- Drafting of detailed explanations for consumers of more than 200 major breast cancer clinical trials and scientific advancements in "Research News" articles.
- Hosting of more than 60 monthly "Ask-the-Expert" conferences where site visitors have access to leading breast cancer experts on a range of issues.
- Launch of a worldwide interactive community of more than 25 discussion boards and two chat rooms that provides users with a safe environment to discuss personal breast cancer-related issues.
- Selection as a key resource for breast cancer information by Harvard Women's Health Watch.
- Honored with prestigious eHealthcare Leadership Awards, receiving high placement in "Best Overall Internet Site," "Best Health/Healthcare Content," and "Best Site Design" categories.
- Recognized in Philadelphia magazine's "Top Doc" issue where Dr. Weiss was featured in the cover story.
- Emergence as a premier resource for national media. Dr. Weiss is frequently consulted by members of the media to provide medical expertise and comment and has appeared on the Today Show for the past seven years.
The 5th Anniversary Gala is made possible in part by generous contributions from the following corporate sponsors: Aramark Management Services, Genetech BioOncology, Lubert Adler Partners, Novartis Oncology/Ribbon of Pink, PJ Hollyhocks, Schneider Capital Management, Vertex, Inc., Algar Ferrari Maserati, U.S. Trust, Wachovia Wealth Management, Wilmington Trust Company, Main Line Health Cancer Center, AstraZeneca, Mellon Financial Corporation, and Bristol Myers Squibb.
Breastcancer.org's mission is to help women and their loved ones make sense of the complex medical and personal information about breast cancer so they can make the best decisions for their lives. The web site offers reliable, complete, and up-to-date medical information as well as a vibrant online community that includes discussion boards, chat rooms, and monthly online conferences with leading breast cancer experts. For additional information, please visit www.breastcancer.org.