Question: I don't have health insurance. How will I pay for breast cancer treatment?
Answer: Several government and private organizations help people without medical insurance to pay for treatment:
- Begin by contacting the National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service at 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237). They have information about how to get free mammograms, Pap smears, and treatment.
- Call your local Social Services Department. You may be eligible for Medicaid or other programs for low-income women.
- Call your local Public Health Department to find out about local health care programs.
- Many hospitals run free clinics where they provide medical care at no or low cost.
- Contact the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation or the American Cancer Society.