Most nutrition researchers believe that the healthful compounds in different foods work together to provide health benefits. The benefits of any single food must be evaluated as a part of your whole diet.
Instead of relying on a particular food in huge quantities, aim for a balanced diet with a variety of foods that includes:
- 5 or more cups of fruits and vegetables per day
- food from other plant sources, such as whole-grain breads and cereals, nuts, seeds, rice, pasta, and beans
Most dietitians agree that a diet rich in plant foods may be healthier than a diet that contains a lot of animal products. In this section you can read about the compounds found in plants that are good for your health.
- Foods Containing Phytochemicals
- Foods Containing Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Foods Containing Lycopene
- Raw Food Diet
- Macrobiotic Diet