Prophylactic ovary removal is surgery to remove the ovaries and usually the fallopian tubes. Women who are at high risk for breast and ovarian cancer sometimes choose prophylactic ovary removal to reduce their risk. On these pages, you can learn more about why women have their ovaries removed, what the surgery involves, and the potential benefits and risks of prophylactic ovary removal.
In this section:
- What Is Prophylactic Ovary Removal?
- Is Prophylactic Ovary Removal Right for You?
- Prophylactic Ovary Removal: What to Expect
- Risks of Prophylactic Ovary Removal
- Alternatives to Prophylactic Ovary Removal
- Questions to Ask Your Surgeon About Prophylactic Ovary Removal
To connect with others who are facing surgery, join the Breastcancer.org Discussion Board forum Surgery - Before, During, and After, which includes threads connecting members based on their surgery month.