What to do for encapsulated implant?

Save as Favorite
Sign in to receive recommendations (Learn more)
Question from Karen: 9 years post mastectomy w/breast reconstruction. Implant rejected — has encapsulated and does not feel or look presentable. HELP!
Answers - Joseph Serletti I think you need to go to a plastic surgeon who has a reputation for providing a broad spectrum of breast reconstruction. It sounds like you would be best served with removing the implant and using a reconstruction that uses the patient's own tissue, such as a TRAM flap or one of its muscle-preserving alternatives.

The Ask-the-Expert Online Conference called Reconstruction Updates featured Joseph Serletti, M.D. and moderator Jennifer Sabol, M.D. answering your questions about breast reconstruction.

Editor's Note: This conference took place in May 2007.

The materials presented in these conferences do not necessarily reflect the views of Breastcancer.org. A qualified healthcare professional should be consulted before using any therapeutic product or regimen discussed. All readers should verify all information and data before employing any therapies described here.

A production of LiveWorld, Inc.
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

Was this article helpful? Yes / No

Springappeal17 miniad 1
Back to Top