Brand name: Ellence
Chemical name: Epirubicin
How it works: Anthracyclines kill cancer cells by damaging their genes and interfering with their reproduction.
Uses: Ellence usually is given in combination with other chemotherapy medicines. It's typically used:
- after surgery and other treatments to reduce the risk of early-stage breast cancer coming back
- before surgery to shrink large advanced-stage breast cancer tumors
- to treat advanced-stage breast cancer
How it's given: Ellence is given intravenously.
- mouth sores
- hair loss
- low white blood cell count
- irregular periods -- this can include temporary cessation (usually resume after medication is completed) or permanent cessation of menstrual periods depending on your age and other factors