Brand name: Phesgo
Chemical name: Pertuzumab, trastuzumab, and hyaluronidase-zzxf
Class: Phesgo is a combination of Perjeta (chemical name: pertuzumab), Herceptin (chemical name: trastuzumab), and hyaluronidase-zzxf. Herceptin and Perjeta are HER2 (human epidermal receptor 2) inhibitor-targeted therapies. Herzuma, Kanjinti, Margenza, Nerlynx, Ogivri, Ontruzant, Trazimera, and Tykerb are other HER2 inhibitors. Hyaluronidase-zzxf is an enzyme that helps the body absorb Herceptin and Perjeta.
How it works: HER2 inhibitors work against HER2-positive breast cancers by blocking the ability of the cancer cells to grow.
Uses: Phesgo can be used in combination with chemotherapy:
- before surgery for early-stage or inflammatory HER2-positive breast cancer
- after surgery for early-stage HER2-positive breast cancer with a high risk of recurrence
Phesgo also can be used in combination with Taxotere (chemical name: docetaxel) to treat HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer that has not been treated with anti-HER2 therapy or chemotherapy.
How it’s given: Phesgo is given as an injection under the skin in the thigh. When a medicine is injected under the skin, it’s called a subcutaneous injection.
- hair loss
- low red blood cell levels
- low white blood cell levels
- peripheral neuropathy (numbness, tingling, or pain in the hands and feet)
- birth defects
Rare but serious side effects:
- heart problems
- lung problems
- severe neutropenia (abnormally low levels of a specific type of white blood cell)
- injection site reactions, including severe allergic reactions
Read more about Phesgo.
- Phesgo (pertuzumab, trastuzumab, and hyaluronidase-zzxf) prescribing information. 2020. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/761170s000lbl.pdf. (PDF)
Can we help guide you?
Create a profile for better recommendations
Breast self-exam, or regularly examining your breasts on your own, can be an important way to...
Eating When You Have Nausea and Vomiting
Almost all breast cancer treatments have varying degrees of risk for nausea and vomiting. Some...
Tamoxifen (Brand Names: Nolvadex, Soltamox)
Tamoxifen is the oldest and most-prescribed selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)....