← Breastcancer.org

Breast Cancer Myths vs. Facts

Save as Favorite
Sign in to receive recommendations (Learn more)

Myth: Most breast cancers run in families.

Fact: Only 5% to 10% of breast cancers are thought to be hereditary, which means they are caused by abnormal genes passed from parent to child. The other 90% are largely due lifestyle and environmental factors.

Myth: There is nothing you can do to lower your risk of developing breast cancer.

Fact: 90% of breast cancers are largely due to lifestyle and environmental factors. To keep your risk as low as it can be, maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, and limit the amount of alcohol you drink.

Myth: Bras cause breast cancer.

Fact: Underwire bras do not cause breast cancer. A 2014 scientific study looked at the link between wearing a bra and breast cancer. There was no real difference in risk between women who wore a bra and women who didn't wear a bra.

Myth: Regular mammograms prevent breast cancer.

Fact: Mammograms don’t prevent breast cancer, but they can save lives by finding breast cancer as early as possible, when it’s most treatable.

Myth: Antiperspirants cause breast cancer.

Fact: There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that antiperspirants cause breast cancer, either because of toxin buildup or aluminum exposure.

Up next: 6 Breast Cancer Risk Factors You CAN Control

Learn more about breast cancer myths and facts by watching our PSA.

Was this article helpful? Yes / No

Back to Top