Brand name: Adriamycin
Chemical name: Doxorubicin
How it works: Anthracyclines kill cancer cells by damaging their genes and interfering with their reproduction.
Uses: Adriamycin usually is given in combination with other chemotherapy medicines. It's typically used:
- after surgery to reduce the risk of early-stage breast cancer coming back
- before surgery to shrink large advanced-stage breast cancer tumors
- to treat advanced-stage breast cancer
How it's given: Adriamycin is given intravenously.
Additional information: Adriamycin can have a toxic effect on the heart. You should be tested for heart problems before starting to take Adriamycin and should be continuously monitored for developing problems during treatment.
- low white blood cell count
- increased risk of bleeding from low platelet count
- appetite changes
- nail changes
- hair loss
- mouth sores
- heart problems
- hand-foot syndrome
- irregular periods — this can include temporary cessation (usually resume after medication is completed) or permanent cessation of menstrual periods depending on your age and other factors
Can we help guide you?
Create a profile for better recommendations
Tamoxifen (Brand Names: Nolvadex, Soltamox)
Tamoxifen is the oldest and most-prescribed selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)....
Breast Cancer Stages
The stage of a breast cancer is determined by the cancer’s characteristics, such as how large it...
Cancer Survivors Overestimate Quality of Their Diets
Most people who have been diagnosed with cancer think they eat a healthy diet, but a study found...